Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Monday, June 1, 2009

The fire and oh the many lessons


It's amazing how when you finish a project, or in my case, close to finish...you become enamored but also loathsome of the piece...because you see all the imperfections and yet can't get enough of it. That's how I feel about, what I call, the Fire. I made SO many errors with this pendant. this was my first time doing a prong setting, and clearly I didn't think about the length of the prongs nor the placement. When I was hammering the silver for texture...one of the prongs just flew off...all the while I was hammering I was somewhat smug, thinking, 'this is so bad-ass'...that's when life teaches you a lesson.
I am really pleased though with the color scheme and the overall design. The feather is inverted on the setting...the image to me is universal and stirs up all kinds of underlying thoughts and ideas.
Oh and one of the other many lessons I learned was the placement of how it is hung...the silver is thick as is the cloisonne being heavy with all the enamel...so using a bail doesn't keep the balance of the pendant from swinging when I wear it. and of course as I soldered it the bail kept moving...as for now, I have logged these lessons for future reference! Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I love it: "while I was hammering I was thinking, 'this is so bad-ass'"! I can hear you saying that. Nice blog, dude!

    ReplyDelete

Translate