Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Monday, September 20, 2010

Walk like an Egyptian

Or perhaps dress like one.

In the recent issue of Lapidary Journal: Jewelry Artist, there is a great article on the jewelers and metalsmiths of ancient Egypt. The article describes the stature, working conditions, techniques and awesome skill of Egyptian jewelers.

I was amazed to read at how drastically different the working conditions were for metalsmiths back then. I can go into the studio in relatively comfortable clothing and know I won't get really dirty but back then metalsmiths didn't have gas tanks, flex shafts or mechanized tools; nonetheless their work is incredible by modern standards.
I love looking at ancient jewelry and artefacts, learning about them and the craftspeople of ancient times really makes you appreciate their skill and hard work.

On a side note, I highly recommend subscribing to Jewelry Artist, it's a fantastic resource.
Broad Collars Dynasty 18 reign of Thutmose III 1479-1425 BCE gold inlaid with carnelian glass, from the tomb of the three minor wives of Thutmose III Thebes. (photos from Factoid).
The crown of Sit-Hathor Yunet was used as a wig ornament and adorned with gold and inlaid gold with carnelian, lapis lazuli and green faience. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate