Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Ural Owls of Estonia

National Geographic has always been a wonderful resource of inspiration for me and I'm so happy my parents got me a subscription.

Last month there was an insightful article and stunning photographs on the Ural owls in the mountains of Estonia.  Sven Začek reported that it is never easy to get so close to the owls and that he received more than a few beatings to the head from the mother owl he photographed.  Sven goes on to say that after his beatings he was 'allowed' to photograph her doing her thing.  

Owls are truly amazing creatures, they are able to fly without making any sound due to their specialized feathers and their heart shaped head provides the perfect way to zone in on prey.  I think it'd be very special to see them in the wild.  Lucky Sven!

The magnificent owl in flight.
 A mother nurturing her baby owl.

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed the photographs and article.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate