Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Friday, May 6, 2011

Recommended Reading: Bauhaus Women

I've had this book on my wish list with Amazon for awhile and finally purchased it with a gift card for my birthday.

Though the Bauhaus style and design is not one that I initially gravitate towards, I was more intrigued by the personal stories and lives of the women of the movement and their struggle to be recognized as experts in their field, as well as studying in the art schools.

It's so easy to take for granted the right to study whatever we want, as women, because nowadays we don't have to fight for those rights but back in the late 19th and early 20th century it was not commonplace for women to attend art schools, and if they did, they were relegated to women studies such as textiles.

Not to say that there still isn't sexism in the arts because there is plenty of it; in lesser degrees. I recommend this book for anyone that is interested in the history of Bauhaus and art movements in general.

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate