Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Saturday, February 16, 2013

My top 5 creative business resources

Photo courtesy of Design*Sponge Biz Ladies series
If you're like me, being more of a person that enjoys making more than business planning, it can be so hard to know where to start and really making yourself be business like.   However, over the years I've become much more confident and I now believe that I can run my business.   And the way I got here was with the help of other creatives and business-like people.

So I here I'm going to give you my top 5 resources, most of them are run by women who are in the creative field which is a double whammy for me. 

1.  Design*Sponge Biz Ladies:  Whenever I read a post from Biz Ladies, I feel and know so much more than I thought I knew.  They give advice from everything to how to drafting blog posts, contact PR companies, business planning, advertising, how to photograph your work, wholesale, retail etc.  Just the avatar alone (Rosie the Riveter) We Can Do It gets me revved up to get working!

2.  Designing an MBA:  Megan Aumen is a true business woman and metalsmith.  She really analyzes the market and how a customer thinks.  She is a champion for all new kinds of technology, like Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for creatives to use instead of rejecting.  I also love how honest and sincere she is; when you read that despite how successful she is, she has her ups and downs too, it's oddly encouraging to me. 

3.  Tara Gentile:  I heard about Tara through Megan, now wonder there! Tara is also just as savvy as Megan and gets in the head of the customer and the maker.  When I read her posts, I'm much more informed and thoughtful about how I interact with my customers.  I love her tagline too, Maximize your impact, minimize your effort. 

4.  Art Biz blog:  I recently wrote about Alyson and her takeaway from Nick Cave.  Alyson knows how the creative person thinks - we avoid anything regarding growing our business, 'cause it's no fun! But when I read her advice, I immediately get to working on my contact list and business goals.  She also knows how emotional artists can get when it comes to selling our work and that, often we take it as personal rejection.  

5.  Kari Chapin:  I've bought both of Kari's books, Grow your Handmade business and Handmade Marketplace, both have been a bible to me over the past 6 months.   Kari provides step by step processes for setting up your business, as well as practical advice from a slew of successful creative business people.  The book is very easy to digest and she gives really thoughtful questions to ask yourself in the process.

I hope that my recommendations provide you with new resources to grow your own business and get you motivated for the future. 

Thanks for reading!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate