Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Sunday, February 3, 2013

6 things to learn from Nick Cave

These past several weeks I've been researching and going through my books to get tips and methods on how to be a better artist and boost my creativity.  Since graduating from art school, I've been on my own in the studio and it's been such a strange, good and uncomfortable change.  Now, I have my own space and quiet time to really focus...but it's been so hard.  I think I have a bit of ADD, I'll get started on a project and then get up and rearrange my hammers or tidy up the casting station - basically avoiding my work!  And I know it isn't because I don't want to work, I think it's because I'm a bit scared and intimidated by my new schedule and space.

With that said, at night I read and try to learn how I can focus my attention and be more productive.  I recently found in my folder of important articles a great blog post by Alyson Stanfield of Art Biz Blog, she is an amazing and business savvy woman. The article is 6 things Nick Cave Said That Made Me Pay Attention, and the tips are wonderful. 

One of the main tips Alyson talks about that stuck with me most is Live your art and Prepare.   I have had it in the back of my mind to visit and research taxidermy and bone preservation for a long while now...and I haven't done it!  It's a very essential part of my jewelry in that I want to know how to collect and preserve animal bones and parts.  Also, preparation, constant testing and rearrangement would really benefit my jewelry; it is a part of my research but I want it prepared constantly.  I'm going to post these tips that Alyson took away from Nick in my studio and remind myself to challenge myself, evolve, grow and push myself everyday.

Here is a short video about Nick Cave and his visit to the Seattle Museum last year.  Hope you enjoy!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate