Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Some things you may not know

There are days when I'm so wrapped up in my little studio world, that I forget to either share with you or I don't consider.  So here are some things you may not know about Eilisain Jewelry and myself.

First, Eilisain is pronounced: I-LI-SEAN.
yes, yes it is a strange name but that is what I love most about it.  It's Lisette translated in Gaelic and was told it means consecrated to god.

Initially I wanted to be a fashion designer.  Back in the early '90's I devoured shows like Fashion File and House of Style wanting to be the next Anna Sui.  Alas, jewelry was my calling.

I've been making jewelry for over 10 years, maybe longer if you count making barrettes and earrings out of fimo clay when I was 9 years old.

All of my jewelry that is made from animal parts are ethically sourced.  I try to reiterate this as I understand you want to know this as well as the ethics of my company.

Most of my pieces of jewelry, even the cast owl talon rings and crow claws are made one of a kind, meaning I use my original mold of the talon or claw and make each ring individually.

A donation is made once a year to the Center of Biological Diversity to support efforts in protection and preservation of animal wildlife. 

I think for now those are some interesting and edifying facts for you.  I'll leave you with this heartwarming image from Asher Svidensky of a young Kazakh eagle hunter, the first female eagle hunter.  How extraordinary is that? Here is the link to the full story. 
Asher Svidensky photo of Mongolian girl with her eagle. 
Pin It

1 comment:

Translate