Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Reality Check

I've been mulling over the last few days on writing a post that is transparent and up front.  I'm the type of person that likes to stay up beat and positive.  Yup, a big but is coming...but there are days where I get sad, conflicted, anxious and so worried about the future and if I'm cut out for doing this long term.  I recently wrote in my business journal some of my fears and then realized, that I couldn't imagine myself working in any other profession otherwise I wouldn't work so damn hard!

It's especially conflicting because I've put so much into my business, it's my baby and I'd hate to see it grow up into a failure.  Don't get me wrong, failing is part of the process, I know, but I want so passionately to make my dream become a prosperous (aka profitable) business.  I'm only two years in starting my business and from what I've read it does take more than several years to see a return on investment, so all I need to do is be patient, right?

In a field that is filled to the brim of talented artists, it is quite easy to play the comparison game, however what I've tried to do is mentally change the 'comparing game' to, "What did she do to get that" or "what is her strategy".  In this way, I use other successful business owners as a model of what to do right.   But still, I will admit there is that tiny moment where I am filled with envy then helplessness.

 There are daily reminders though that I'm making progress, every sale, every positive feedback from customers and friends encourages me to keep on track and that I must be doing something right.  So with that I will end on a positive note/image.

Thank you for reading my mini-vent session. 
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Don't be disheartened, Lisette! You could take solace on the fact that your business is still getting along pretty well. Although there could very well be issues, perhaps asking help from other people could be a plausible solution? If you can convince people of your vision, and they see that you could do it, I don't see any reason why they should be against it.
    Cameron Scott @ ImmediateCapital.com

    ReplyDelete

Translate