Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Friday, April 5, 2013

Recipe for Resurrection



This is truly fascinating, but I have mixed feelings of bringing animals back from the dead.

The most recent issue of National Geo features several articles on the relationship between humans, animals and our environment.  The one that really worries me is the possibility of bringing the wooly mammoth back to life.  Currently hunters from Russia scour the Arctic circle for tusks hidden or buried in the arctic ice.  Finding a tusk for these hunters brings them much needed money to survive in their homeland, which I understand the necessity to live however if the wooly mammoth is brought back from extinction I'm sure it wouldn't be just for research purposes but to feed the tusk business.  Ivory is already killing elephants in Africa and it is so disturbing.  

This brings me back to the ethics of animal parts and the policies regarding their usage.  I posted yesterday on my Facebook page about my own policies.  All of my jewelry is made from the remains of animals that have been either found in the wild and was shed naturally.  None of it has been from animals that have been killed purposefully.  

I have profound respect for animals and the wildlife of eastern North Carolina and the animals of our planet.  It's so easy to forget that the balance of our world is dependent on the relationships between animals.  That is one of the principles behind my jewelry is to become atune and bring awareness to the powerful capabilities of animals.

I hope that after reading this post you are brought to the awareness of animals in your own life and the world.
Thanks for reading!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate