Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Wednesday, January 23, 2013

the beginning

I'm looking through old photos of my jewelry, back from 2001 and I can't believe how far I've come and the utter joy I had when I made my first ring.  It was back when I was finishing my senior year at the University of Florida, in Gainesville and I took a wire wrapping class at the student union. 

Turquoise set, 2001.
Sunfire necklace, 2003 (now owned by my Aunt Bonnie)
The first night we began our project of a wire wrapped cuff.  I loved it, I was there every night after that and when I saw the other class making rings, well, I had to do that too. 

It took me about 2 years after that initial wire wrapping class to get back into the studio, but ever since then I haven't left.  I'm proud of my tenacity to stay with making jewelry, it can be such a tough journey in any art form to fail, fail and fail again.  I'm still learning but that is part of what makes it so good, when you learn and get it right.

I deviated tonight from my blogging of the symposium to reminisce; but I'll be back next time with more fun tid bits on the ECU symposium.
Thanks for reading!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate