Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Thursday, February 10, 2011

well said!

"Often people want to describe me as ‘making more than just jewellery’ - they prefer to describe me as ‘an artist who makes small sculptures’. Jewellery making in their eyes is not an esteemed enough practice for an artist. I remind them whatever place jewellery has in the contemporary visual arts hierarchy that it has a long history, perhaps the oldest. In fact the oldest examples we have of human material history confirm that it is jewellery that provides the earliest evidence of our capacity to think symbolically. Jewellery still has that capacity - that’s what keeps me interested – I’m an artist but I’m still a jeweller."

–Warwick Freeman


borrowed this from the Golden Sm
ith blog. brilliant.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate