Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Featured Artist: Liz Steiner

Today the art guilds of ECU's School of Art and Design held our Valentine's day sale.

Even though I usually have class when set up begins for art sales, I always run down (to the 2nd floor) and get the first peek at what goes out. I also check out the sale to see how the metals guild booth is set up and there are enough volunteers.

As I've said in previous posts, I love sales because I get to trade or buy a cupcake or something.

Today I spotted this sweet charm (bone and gold leaf with pearl) made by today's featured artist, Liz Steiner. I begged Liz to trade with me, she'll get one of my black coral charms that she's been wanting.
Rock Brooch
Slate Necklace, Liz Steiner
Rock Necklace
I find that Liz and I have a similar interest in stones, rocks and minerals. I enjoy the unexpectedness of her pieces, the gold leaf detail and the knitted rocks. It's as if Liz is containing the rough and preciousness of the rocks themselves.

Liz is graduating this year, and I'll be sad to see her go but happy for her to continue on the journey that so many of us metalsmiths go through, especially leaving the nest of school and support system it offers.

Check out Liz's blog, Atomic Rabbit, she posts good quotes and reflections on her work.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate