Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Monday, June 7, 2010

sized my first ring!

I was really excited Friday when I sized my first ring! My good friend gave me an old ring that had lost it's stone and I decided to size it from a 5 1/2 to 8. The reason I sized it so big was to practice with more metal. And I was successful!

Ellis, the 'Jewelry Doctor', showed me a great technique for fitting the silver wire into the shank.

First measure the length, saw and file it, as well as the shank itself, in the center and then create a V-shape to the shank and for the piece to be solder the opposite shape (a V inverted to the left) so that the shank and piece fit like a puzzle.

I did this and voila! It's funny what we metalsmiths get excited about! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate