Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The good, bad and the ugly

It seems that everyday when I log onto Facebook or check my yahoo account somewhere in the world, beautiful animals are going extinct, ancient forests are being torn down and there is toxic lead in our water.  It depresses me most of the time but also makes me determined.


I ask myself, what can I do? How can I help make a difference in the world.  I'm sure some of you have the same thoughts going through your head.  Or perhaps you don't know about the fact that palm oil is used in many American products such as coca-cola, snack etc. however palm oil comes from Indonesian and South American countries specifically it comes from the habitat of animals like the orangutan and tigers which no longer have homes due to the destruction of forests with palm oil.

So I decided to come up with suggestions and ways you can 'take action' from the comfort of your home.  Simple everyday steps that help protect your environment and ones far away.  Some of you may think, 'what difference does it make?'  but that question is very easy - a BIG difference.  When you multiply you times a thousand others it creates a huge effect.

1.  Send emails, calls, faxes to your members of congress, legislators and council members.
Dedicate an email address specifically for your calls to action, that way you won't get spam mail to your personal address.
Some of my favorite organizations are:
The Ocean Conservancy
Alaska Wilderness League
Sierra Club

2.  Share this information with your family and friends, educate and urge them to take action.  The more the better!

3.  Do your part.  Recycle, reuse, reduce.  It is that simple.   Pick up trash on your walks and throw it in the trash bin. 
  • Reuse shopping bags
  • Donate old clothing to homeless shelters or use them as drop cloths
  • repair and maintain the stuff you do have instead of throwing it away
  • Use a water bottle instead of purchasing more water bottles
  • Volunteer in your area or get to know where you live.  
If we all do just a little bit, that compounds into huge changes. 
thank you for reading and stay lovely!
Lisette
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate