Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Tuesday, February 23, 2016

#girlboss, bossbabe, BOSSLADY

So lately I've really been owning these words.  It's not because I have an intern or that I'm telling someone what to do, it's more with that fact that I respect myself so much more and hold myself accountable.
Me at my bench 3 years ago. 
It feels liberating and scary to admit that I'm my own boss; that I control the wheels of my destiny.  Back in 2008 when I was first getting started working in the jewelry industry I thought to myself that I could never run a business and that I'd need someone else to set the standard and tell me what to do.

But things started to change while I was in school at ECU (East Carolina University), I started making plans and projecting where I wanted to be in 5-10 years.  And low and behold I'm getting there.  I've secured grants, studio equipment, created my own website, do my book keeping, market my work - the list goes on and on.  And now, even having an intern.  I think that cemented in my head that now I'm mentoring and teaching someone else how to be a #girlboss.  And it is SO gratifying.

Kristie Esposito King and Caroline Hedgepeth - two bossbabes that I truly admire and respect.
And when I did begin my journey into the jewelry industry, I had such amazing and supportive mentors (Dawn Benedetto, Valerie Hector, Biba Schutz, Ellis Cutrell, Lawrence Miller, Timothy Lazure, Ken Bova, my parents and so many others).  Jewelers that gave me access to their studio and equipment.  As well as invaluable advice and lessons that I'll never forget.  I think for any industry you may be in, to have someone guide you and provide insight into journeying your career is so essential.

So there you have it, I declare myself A BOSSLADY! 

haha, thank you for reading and stay lovely friends.
xo,
Lisette
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate