Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Thursday, March 26, 2015

What's been inspiring me lately

It's been awhile since I've done a post about books and such that inspired me.  And this is perfect timing as I just acquired several new books.

I'll be honest though sometimes I feel guilty that I don't reread some of the current books I have, I feel that because I spent good money on it, I should devour it! I've been an avid reader for a long time and books are a refuge when I'm feeling a bit lost or need to go back and refresh my creativity.  

Here are three books that are either on my nightstand or on the coffee table.

The first is Muses: Women Who Inspire, I received this book from my close friend Cate for my birthday.  She knows me well in that I love a good 'coffee table' book (aka beautiful images and good content).   I've only just begun to leaf through this book but I do enjoy that the majority of women go back to the early 1900's and is rich in drama and passionate relationships between artist, writers, painters and more. 

(I apologize for the blurry images, saved from the internets)


Now this book is for the inner geologist in me, as you know I LOVE stones and gems and I'd seen this book previewed on other sites, such as DesignSponge and wanted it.  It's very ironic that the author, Jennifer Altman used to work at Points of Light in Asheville, NC - where I source many of my stones.   This book is an easy read and provides just enough information about select gems and minerals.  

You can purchase Bob's new book here.
And now to a recent book purchase I made locally (and not from Amazon).  Bob Ebendorf currently has a very extensive collection on exhibit at the Greenville Museum of Art.   And I finally got a chance to see his amazing collection, ranging from his early days making rings, to his immaculate hollow ware pieces (in silver and gold! gasp).  This book is fantastic and should be in every jewelers bookshelf as Bob is the grandfather of the early art jewelry movement.  Many of the pieces are a permanent collection at the Racine Art Museum in Racine, WI.  You can purchase this book on RAM's website (in the link above). 

As usual, thank you for reading!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate