Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Sunday, March 28, 2010

Stanley William Hayter

I didn't know much about the Surrealist painter, Stanley William Hayter, until today.

I saw this photo in an artist magazine and all I knew is that I loved the way he drew the figure with a background of wild colors.

Here is a brief bio (via wikipedia):
Stanley William Hayter, CBE (born Dec. 27, 1901, London died May 4, 1988, Paris) was a British painter and printmaker associated in the 1930s with Surrealism and from 1940 onward with Abstract Expressionism.[1] Regarded as one of the most significant printmakers of the 20th century, in 1927 Hayter founded the legendary Atelier 17 studio in Paris. Since his death in 1988, it has been known as Atelier Contrepoint.[2] Among the artists Hayter was credited with influencing were Pablo Picasso, Alberto Giacometti, Joan MirĂ³, Alexander Calder, Marc Chagall, Jackson Pollock, and Mark Rothko.

I began this piece almost a year ago in my 2nd enamel class with Abby Goldblatt at the Art League school via the Torpedo Factory in Old Town, Alexandria.

In my initial sketches I planned on riveting tubes on each point to put a jump ring and triangular chain. Then as worked with the piece and it grew...my plans changed. And I decided to use fabric of some sort.
I sewed the 2 pieces together and then 'threaded' the black goat leather to create a chain and then sewed bra strap pins as a clasp. I know it sounds odd but I wanted the leather to be seamless the enamel piece to be the center of attention. Overall, I love this piece and will rock it out!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate