Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Monday, July 8, 2013

why buy handmade?

I've been thinking about this topic for the past several days; the importance it means to artisans and local business' that the general public understand the meaning of 'handmade' and buying local.

I'll tell you how buying handmade affects my life.  Whenever I make a sale, it means I can pay my rent, car payments, buy new equipment, get groceries and maybe one day have employees.  I always tell my friends that it means your putting dollars back into your neighbors wallet. 

I also thought of the other angle, that 'hey, I'm shopping for a bargain' which, I'm almost always doing.  However, I also want something to last and be worth my money.  I'll admit, I love going to TJ Maxx and getting something on clearance.  But nowadays its for necessities; like running shorts or shoes not a candle or a coffee mug.  I made a conscientious about seven years ago that instead of buying crap, like tshirts from Forever 21 or Target, that I'd save my money and wait for something that I knew would last, even if it meant wearing or using old things that I was tired of.   

When I'm searching for a wedding gift, I buy handmade, or any gift really.  Buying handmade means supporting your local economy as well as the artisan economy.  There is a deeper meaning and story behind the object you purchase and that's special and worth spending good money.

So with all that said, I urge you to do the same.  Invest in pieces that are unique, one of a kind and keep the history of handmade objects alive.  
Me, using my hands to make individual and memorial pieces.  
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate