Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Friday, February 25, 2011

turtle shell

Last weekend I visited my parents in Granite Falls, they live near Lake Hickory and my Dad found this turtle shell. Isn't it amazing? I never knew that the 'skin' (looks more like bark) flaked off.

The patterns on the skin are quite beautiful and remind me of butterfly wings or even moth wings. The skin has a plastic texture - perfect for an epoxy resin...I got so excited and my Dad gave me the shell to use for some weird, crazy jewelry.


The inside vertebrate, this would be perfect for mold making.

And aren't these a marvel?
So many wonderful design and patterns can be culled
from the animal and plant kingdom.
Kinda looks like a Rorschach test pattern.

It will be exciting to begin designing a piece around these beautiful turtle remians...poor thing.

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate